February 20, 2011

for the fighter

It seems to me that the performances in The Fighter have gotten most of the movie’s buzz, and oh boy, is each one is deserving of the attention. But you have to know that every aspect of the movie is brilliant.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Within seconds, I was captivated. And while I’m still thinking about it, I’m not puzzling over it or considering what it meant. It does having meaning. But the movie is just so good that what I’m thinking about is how good it was and how much I enjoyed it.

Sometimes a good story requires you to figure something out, and sometimes it only needs to be told well to be good. It is a self-contained entertainment, and although I don’t meant to sound to precious, it is art.

I have seen many of this year’s Oscar-nominees for best pictures and I see value in all of them. I was affected by Black Swan. I liked The Social Network and Inception. I loved The King’s Speech, and was smitten by both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush’s performances. But The Fighter is the champion.

See it. I might even take you. Because I would love to see it again.

No comments: